Thursday, November 30, 2006

more lame books reviews!

I made a second pass through Steven Erikson's 6 Malazan books (~4000 pages). Definitely held up on the re-read. Found lots of foreshadowing I'd missed the first time. Reading them one after the other also allowed me to catch some references I'd missed the first time. Lots of fun. Sometimes gory. Sometimes very funny. Highly recommended.

Just finished S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire. I love good post-apocalyptic fiction. It was pretty good, but the premise made me want to throw the book across the room a few times. I can see all electronic devices being knocked out at once... But gunpowder? And steam engines? It seemed like the author just wanted an excuse to get people into chain mail whacking each other with swords as soon as possible. The way the skilled characters found each other seemed way too easy (blacksmiths, horse trainers, ex-soldiers).

It was a good read. But I found myself bored or frustrated every-other-chapter when the author would focus on the Wiccan/ex-SCA characters. I don't think its just that they're Wiccan -- I'd be just as annoyed at a book with Christian characters that constantly hit me over the head with their faith.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished The Protector's War (Part 2 of Dies the Fire). It was good - and even encouraged me to buy the third book, which I did - but also annoyingly too focused on weird Wiccan ceremonies and other slooowww moving stuff. Also...it annoys me so much that there's no excuse for why all this happened. I hate that!!

Anonymous said...

Wait.

Were you saying that you were reviewing lame books or that your reviews are lame?

I'm so confused...

neeber said...

Thank you for pretending you don't know the answer.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and shouldn't that be "lame books' reviews" or "lame book's reviews?"

Har.

I'll see ya' in a few days, stevorino.