Monday, January 01, 2007

worst new years gift, ever

Found out on Saturday the employer sent a wonderfully vague re-organization announcement on early-AM Friday.

I could have a job. I could be laid off. I could be asked to move to Manhatten to join that team.

Or, it might just reflect the management structure of the software development work at the company. Which would also suck, because my (immediate) boss is great.

Thank goodness we exercised some restraint this Christmas in terms of gifts for ourselves and family. We also transferred our credit card debt onto a 0% APR card a couple months ago... we were planning on paying it off over the next year, but now it might just get minimum payments until the job thing settles.

I'm not too worried. There are a ton of jobs in the Salt Lake area (according to monster and dice), and the company that bought my old employer's simulation business is doing very well and has positions. There are also a ton of cool sounding start-ups down in Utah county... the wife has put the kibosh on moving down there, but Draper/Bluffdale might be doable.

I'm mostly frustrated. I hadn't planned on staying at [employer's name withheld] for more than another year... but it would have been nice to leave on my terms rather than theirs. It would have also been nice if they'd done the layoff at a time when more than 5 people were actually in the office, and sending such an vague-but-ominous e-mail announcement.

Update: The job is safe. The vague e-mail implied the development positions would be cut/moved, but in fact none of the development positions at our location was involved. Our software architect was laid off, however... probably due to butting heads with the new CTO. The rest of the layoffs were spread across the groups.

No comments: