Tuesday, February 26, 2008

adrift

Not sure why I feel more adrift now that I've not only made the decision to leave my current employer, I've done a bunch of job hunting, interviewed and accepted an offer.

I thought once I'd made my decision, things would have solidified in my mind. Maybe I'm realizing how much I'll miss my co-workers. Nothing like them being laid off, and conspiring with them against 'the man,' to bring you closer together. Their last day is Friday the 29th. My last day is the following Friday, and I'll start the new job the next Monday.

It was difficult to choose where to go. I could go someplace unknown, or I could go back to the ex-employer, or I could follow some friends that left current-employer last year. Doors #2 and #3 seem fairly recession proof; military work for the former, health for the latter.

All the reasons I had for picking door #2 were comfort-based -- very close to the new house, great friends, and interesting work. Door #3 is more of an unknown and a ton more responsibility, but with a safety net of other good friends. Ultimately picked door #3, the riskier job that could be huge career-wise.

5 comments:

Bartski said...

When you say "military work," I assume you mean they're government contractors. If so, stay away from that door at all costs - nothing is more fickle than the gov't contracting sector. A company on the gravy train today could be snatching at bread crumbs the next. Just ask Brent (even before the FBI decided to raid the office).

Oh, and I'm jealous of your relevant work experience that made it so easy for you to find a new job. Who woulda thunk 6 years of the all-but-dead language Visual Foxpro would limit my employment options?

neeber said...

They've also got a huge commercial aviation side of the business, so it's not just military / government work.

More helpful than the relevant work experience was the fact that I've tried very hard the last few years to grow my network by keeping in touch with friends from previous employers.

Mark N. said...

A lot of good keeping in touch with me and door #2 did me... I still wish you had chose door 2, it truly is our loss. Good luck with your new job!

neeber said...

Obviously, we need to meet up for drinks or other nonsense.

I'm swamped the next couple weekends with a wedding anniversary (12?!?!) and the lovely wife's birthday (I will not give a number on pain of death), but sometime soon.

Bartski said...

I wish staying in touch with friends from previous employers would have been a possibility for me. Unfortunately, changing states between jobs and being unemployed at the same time as all my former co-workers were didn't really make that an option for me.

Wow. My little sister is hitting her mid-30s (I have no such compunctions about keeping her age a secret). Tell her I said it sucks to be old.

But your definition of "old" really does change with each passing year. I'm almost 40 and I'm still young. Young, I say!! Young!!!