Thursday, May 17, 2007

san francisco -- day #4 -- "You like extreme?"

Final conference sessions today. OK, but nothing fantastic.

Great lunch at House of Nanking. The waiter arrived, said "Your first time here?" When we said yes, he took our menus. No idea what the dishes were, but they were all super-excellent.

Then got a taxi to the airport. After a few minutes of silence, the driver asks, "You like extreme?"

I'm not sure I hear him right. He asks again, "You like extreme?"

Yep. I had heard him right.

Pause....... I'm not sure if I'm going to get invited to a cock fight, or what. I guess that maybe he's asking if it's OK to play his favorite thrash metal CD. "Uhhh.... extreme music?" I ask.

He explains, "No! Extreme! Like X! .... Games! Extreme. Sports."

I respond, "umm. A little?"

The rest of the ride was enclosed in blissful silence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Blissful" silence is my favorite kind.