Tuesday, September 25, 2007

hardware problems are teh suck

Why does my home PC pick the worst time to decide to stop booting? I really didn't want to spend 4 hours tonight fiddling in the XP recovery console, the BIOS settings, and running disk tests.

At first, I thought it was the height of inconvenience that I'd packed up my Windows XP install disk, had to search the basement, unpack the box, re-pack the box. Then, unpack the box again after realizing I forgot to grab the floppy disk with the SATA drivers.

However, that turned out to be minor compared to having to reboot twice every time I changed something in the XP recovery console. Once to get out of the console, and again so that the XP install disk would release itself from the CD-ROM drive. Gah!

System Rescue CD and the XP recovery console both seemed happy to read the disks, no problem getting into the partitions and looking at files. Tried fixboot, tried fixmbr, ran DFT's tests on both hard disks. No love from the boot gods.

Finally, decided to start fiddling with the BIOS. Swapped the order in which the hard disks are booted (SATA then IDE), and it came up. Not sure why I didn't notice it before. Also not sure why the BIOS implies it'll check disk #1 then disk #2 when booting, but only actually try #1 and give up.

Also not sure what would have screwed it up. I re-installed Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D over the weekend. We also had a couple power-bumps a couple days ago.

In less annoying news, System Rescue CD is 4-6x as awesome as it was the last time I tried it a few months ago.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Windows XP? I thought you were one of those eunuchs-lovers.

Anonymous said...

So now you're reviewing my comments before posting them?

The shame!!

I may have submitted this commetn thrice. I'm never sure...

neeber said...

Someone named 'Celia' was posting spam comments for jaco bay something or other. Decided to enable moderation to prevent it rather than go in after-the-fact and delete the comments.

neeber said...

And, went to XP to give the wife more practice while she's in school. She just finished her billing/coding certification course at SLCC today! (well, except for the externship).

Bart, you'll be happy to know your sister is a GENIUS. In her class, she got the best score on the advanced coding final and also the best overall score in her advanced coding class. She's done very well in all her other classes too, and spent a lot of time tutoring the other students.

Anonymous said...

Of course she's a genius. She came from the same genepool.