Monday, January 09, 2012

dance with dragons review

Enormous wait

I loved parts of it while I read it, and easily forgave its flaws.

But... 3 months after finishing it... reflecting back on it I am increasingly annoyed by it, and the lack of forward movement. I don't need pages and pages and pages of turtle talk, or stone zombie talk. The feeling I'm left with is that GRRM doesn't have an editor who can kick his ass and tighten up his story.


For epic fantasy... I'm much, much happier with the Malazan books. They are plenty annoying at times too. But, they've churned all 10 books out on a regular schedule and built a fascinating, complex world.

3 comments:

Bartski said...

I've still got about a hundred pages to go, but I'll tell you what's killing the book for me - he's killing off all my favorite characters. I don't give a flying Flainian Pobble Bead about most of the people in the story and I have the trudge through the chapters they dominate to get back to the Starks...

Still, I'm not sorry I read it.

Bartski said...

I finished a couple of days ago.

I think my biggest complaint is shared by many other readers - there are just too darn many principal characters to keep track of them all.

I also just read the first 5 issues of the comic book adaptation of the first book this weekend. It's just like any other adaptation of a book - it skips a lot of the narrative from the book while filling in pieces that you didn't realize were missing. You should check those out (come visit and you can read mine).

Shahana Shafiuddin said...

ha ha ha, what a review