Tuesday, January 03, 2006

more books

It appears this blog is becoming a log of my reading habits.

Finally finished Lords of Dus. The first half of the anthology continued to annoy me, but I can almost say that I enjoyed the last half. Ugh. Like I said, I really, really like LWE's other stuff... but this was bad, as evidenced by the month it took me to finish it. I had to force myself to keep picking it up.

On the opposite side of the spectrum: I bought Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler yesterday afternoon; and finished it yesterday evening. I'm not a huge vampire fiction fan. But, I've liked Butler's other books so I picked it up. It was quite good. From the Washington Post review on Amazon:
"I awoke to darkness," the narrator begins. She's naked, badly burned, starving and without any idea where or who she is. She comes upon a group of homes destroyed by fire, but nothing looks familiar amid the cloud of pain and confusion. She can remember basic concepts only by trying to articulate what's missing: a bed, shoes, food. As a narrator, she couldn't seem more helpless, more vulnerable, more innocent. Then she chases down a deer and eats it. We're not in Kansas anymore.
Also purchased with the Barnes & Noble gift card was The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers. My brother-in-law gave me Powers' Last Call a couple Christmases ago, which I quite liked. Hopefully this will last me a bit longer than a single evening.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to find On Stranger Tides (also by Tim Powers). It's my favorite of the bumch. And has pirates. Yarr!!

Anonymous said...

bumch?

neeber said...

The only thing better than Pirates is Monkeys. Now I have to go get it!

Anonymous said...

Good luck finding it, little fella. It's auld and out-of-print. You can borrow mine, the next time you come down...oh wait, you good fer nuthins never come down here. Grrrr!

neeber said...

Hmm... bookfinder.com found it. For $30+ bucks.