Tuesday, March 15, 2011

religion

This post from John Scalzi's blog expresses so much of what I've struggled with trying to explain (both to myself, and to my family when I left the church).

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/03/14/reader-request-week-2011-1-children-and-faith/

A sample:
... 
But again, that’s not about me as an agnostic opposing those who have faith. It’s me as a person who knows the message of Christ pointing out a hypocrite, and me as a person with my own moral, social and political standards countering one whose standards differ. As it happens, I know a reasonable number of people of faith who feel the same way I do, and have many of the same moral, social and political standards as I have. Do I fear them? Discount them? Think them defective? No; I say “I’m glad to know you.” We believe many of the same things; that some of their belief comes from the teachings of Jesus, or from Allah by way of Muhammad, or from Buddha, to name just three examples, does not trouble me. Whatever steps we took to get there, we’re walking the same path.

1 comment:

Bartski said...

Infidel!!

Baby Jesus will flay the skin from your body with a scourge crafted from the razor sharp teeth of a thousand islamic martyrs! (Everybody knows that islamic martyrs have razor sharp teeth, right?)